I ran into an interesting issue when trying to connect to a new printer with my Linux laptop. The printer firmware was set up for 250000 baud and for some reason I couldn’t connect to it. After a little searching, I found that this was a known issue in pyserial with newer kernels and there’s a quick fix.
I’ve had this socked away for a while, but was just reminded of it. This is a method of concatenating PDF files. This takes multiple PDF files as inputs and outputs a single PDF file made up of those. This is particularly useful when a document needs to include sub-documents, such as a report that includes preexisting data sheets, or a proposal needs to include financial statements, resumes, or other supporting documents.
When I first got started with Arduino under Linux, I quickly discovered that I had issues connecting to the Arduino to program it or talk to it via serial. I later found the same issue when I started working with 3D Printers, when trying to connect the host application to the printer to operate it.
This was clearly a permissions problem, as all of these cases (and other USB serial devices) worked just fine when run as root (not a good practice, don’t do this). This is just a quick post showing how to set yourself up with the permissions needed to use these devices as a normal user.
I’ve got an HP LaserJet Professional M1212nf MFP printer at the office, and most of the machines in the office are running CrunchBang Waldorf. The stock version of hplip does not include the drivers for this printer.
This is just a quickie, nothing too in-depth here. I just thought I’d mention that I’ve migrated all of my computers from Ubuntu to CrunchBang. I enjoy the lighter and more responsive interface, as well as the lower system overhead. It fits my workflow and interaction style well.
I don’t need a high degree of customization to be happy, I just want my customizations to conky and the openbox menu to be consistent between my various computers.
As mentioned in one of my prior posts, I had a server that kept remounting the hard drive as read-only because of filesystem problems. The problem it was encountering was an aborted journal, which was identified by fairly unambiguous language in the output from ‘dmesg’. The solution, of course was to rebuild the journal.
This one is a quick one. After looking around, this seems to be the easiest way to make a system beep to get your attention without having to install third-party packages.
I recently ran into a problem with a remote Linux install that caused the root filesystem to keep remounting itself as read-only in an attempt to keep from eating itself. Because the filesystem was read-only, I couldn’t change any permissions, install any ssh certificates into different accounts, reset passwords or any of the other standard ways I would get at the data I needed. Likewise, because this was a remote system, I couldn’t just boot into a different environment to read the data (there was also the fear that the drive might fail or that there might be data loss upon performing the diagnostics needed to fix the volume). The solution I came up with was using a named pipe over ssh to funnel data. This worked really well, but took a bit of looking around to figure out how to make it happen.